I’ve been working on some small textile pieces that are part of the series of works called Gifts from the Pavement. These compliment the paper based prints that formed the original exhibition. They are made in the same way, building up layers of rust print, collagraph print (both using found objects from the Saltaire streets) and stitch, but this time on silk.
These ones have just gone off to the framers and I have a little stack to work on through the holidays.
Hebden Bridge Rag Market are holding a summer exhibition on the theme ‘haberdashery’, with 20 artists work displayed in 20 shop windows during July. My book Forgotten Haberdashery is one of those 20. This features marks made by rusty pins from a rusty round tin, prints from scraps of lace and yarn, an old button, vintage silks and an abandoned needle. I’ve used rust prints, collagraph print, embossing, monoprint, screen print, chine colle, and stitch (gosh, that sounds a lot but the surfaces are actually quite subtly built up). I’m looking forward to hearing where it has ended up…
> I sat and stitched in between sales at the Makers Fair last weekend. I played about with some of my rust/seaweed dyed silk and found that little seeding stitches helped to keep the crumpled structure that the silk has and which I want to retain.
The wool felt I have left from my degree project makes a lovely base to stitch into and I find that I keep coming back to the square units that I used through out my final project, derived from ideas in architecture. There is something so pleasing about the square format.
I started off with a larger piece of felt and an even larger piece of silk and played about, but without direction. As soon as I cut off small squares I was happier with what I was doing, finding ways to vary the repetition subtly.
I’ve also been experimenting with ideas for a commission I have. I’m hoping that I can use some of the leftover materials from my degree work, as well as some left over ideas.